Home » Developer & Programmer » Forms » Forms disconnects during a query statement.
Forms disconnects during a query statement. [message #403964] Tue, 19 May 2009 20:56 Go to next message
boyet-x
Hi guys,

We are using Forms 6i. So here's the case.
Our form unexpectedly returns an ora-03113 and 03114 error.
Upon tracing, we found out that it is during executing a query statement (select count(*) into... from 3 tables).

Here's some strange behaviour.
1.) It happened for users aside from the object owner.
2.) Cannot be catched by exception handler (meaning during query, it completely stops without going to exception part of the code).
3.) My colleague reported that the error does not happen if values in the where clause are hard-coded instead of the global variables it currently referring to.

e.g.
and teller_id = :global.user_code

but successful on this
and teller_id = 'TEST_USER'

We tried assigning first these global to local variables. The local vars get the values alright but when fed to the query, the same behavior happened.

The users have assigned roles that have been granted rights to these tables.
What seems to be the problem here?

Any help would be much appreciated.
Re: Forms disconnects during a query statement. [message #404077 is a reply to message #403964] Wed, 20 May 2009 04:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TonyJaa
hello,

I know this error. Try to optimize the query, for example replace count(*) by count(1), remove order by and also check the memory use and performance of the machine.
Re: Forms disconnects during a query statement. [message #404081 is a reply to message #404077] Wed, 20 May 2009 05:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cookiemonster
TonyJaa wrote on Wed, 20 May 2009 10:52

Try to optimize the query, for example replace count(*) by count(1)

The myth persists I see. count(1) is NOT faster than count(*).
Also lots of different things can cause ORA-03113 and based on the rest of the OPs post I wouldn't assume performance has anything to do with it.

@boyet-x - when you get ORA-03113 errors the best thing you can do is check metalink and if necessary contact oracle support.
Re: Forms disconnects during a query statement. [message #404100 is a reply to message #403964] Wed, 20 May 2009 06:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Is combination of Oracle & Operating system certified?

Is the latest Forms patch installed?

What happens if you grant privileges directly to (one of - for testing purposes) users (so that they don't acquire them via role(s))?
Re: Forms disconnects during a query statement. [message #404388 is a reply to message #404100] Thu, 21 May 2009 10:45 Go to previous message
boyet-x
Hi guys..
This is a very old form that is long been due for migration to 10G.
This only happened to users test environment so it might be due to setup and such and we've got such limited time so I opted to a workaround. That is, I have transferred the whole select thing to an existing db package, and does so far eliminated the error.

Anyway, thanks for all the suggestions. I might be looking more into it during my free time.
Previous Topic: webutil documentation
Next Topic: Summary in Display Block
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 15:30:28 CDT 2024