Home » Developer & Programmer » Forms » create directory with oracle form pl/sql (oracle database10g , oracle developer suite10g)
create directory with oracle form pl/sql [message #439410] Sat, 16 January 2010 06:13 Go to next message
tonna

Hello experts,

i want to know how to create directory or folder which use pl/sql coding in oracle developer suite10g

my problem is when i use this code

trigger WHEN-BUTTON-PRESSED

EXECUTE IMMEDIATE 'CREATE OR REPLACE DIRECTORY'||'C:\RESTAURANT';

IT'S ERROR WITH "Error591 this feature is not supported in client-side programs"

I used to use function with webutil that's webutil_file.create_directory('c:\RESTAURANT');

trigger WHEN-BUTTON-PRESSED

WEBUTIL_FILE.CREATE_DIRECTORY('c:\RESTAURANT');

BUT STILL HAVE ERROR WITH "Error 221 'CREATE_DIRECTORY' is not a procedure or is undefined "

So,anybody know how to create directory with pl/sql that's use in oracle form in trigger when-button-pressed
or how to use function webutil_file.create_directory(); could you please give me any suggestion or answer that's very kind of you,
Thank you very much.. i waiting for answer...
Re: create directory with oracle form pl/sql [message #439411 is a reply to message #439410] Sat, 16 January 2010 06:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
If you look up the detail of the CREATE DIRECTORY command in the SQL Language Reference, you'll see the relationship between an Oracle directory and a file system directory. Is that the source of your problem?
Re: create directory with oracle form pl/sql [message #439414 is a reply to message #439410] Sat, 16 January 2010 07:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
1/ CREATE DIRECTORY command creates an Oracle directory not an OS one. An Oracle directory is a name used in PL/SQL to reference an OS directory.

2/ This directory can only be located on the database server not on the client side.

3/ CREATE DIRECTORY is not a basic command, you must have the CREATE ANY DIRECTORY privilege to create one.

Regards
Michel

Re: create directory with oracle form pl/sql [message #439416 is a reply to message #439410] Sat, 16 January 2010 08:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cookiemonster
Judging from the error message I would assume you'll need to create a database procedure to do the create directory command and call that from the form.
Re: create directory with oracle form pl/sql [message #439418 is a reply to message #439416] Sat, 16 January 2010 09:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
I believe that "directory" means an operating system directory, not an Oracle object. Why? Because the OP has saidQuote:
how to create directory or folder
I don't know anyone who calls Oracle "directory" a "folder". Do you?

So, if we suppose that I'm right and you're wrong* /forum/fa/451/0/, the OP will probably have to investigate use of the HOST built-in.

* Have you ever watched Matilda? If not, do so, you might like it.

There's a character, Mrs Trunchbull, who is a school headmaster but hates children and shows that anytime, anywhere she can. One of her lines is ... well, search the link for "right" or "wrong".

Also, I *hope* you understand that I'm just kidding. I've seen people here taking jokes far too seriously these days.
Re: create directory with oracle form pl/sql [message #439423 is a reply to message #439418] Sat, 16 January 2010 10:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
This is an easy way to create a directory on the server -
exec dbms_scheduler.create_job('mkdir','executable','/bin/mkdir',1,auto_drop=>false);
exec dbms_scheduler.set_job_argument_value('mkdir',1,'/tmp/newdir');
exec dbms_scheduler.run_job('mkdir');

I'm trying to create directories on the client by using the remote external job facility, but I'm having trouble getting the scheduler agent to work. I think it is because I haven't got the security set up correctly. Has anyone done remote external jobs with 11.2?

Re: create directory with oracle form pl/sql [message #439424 is a reply to message #439410] Sat, 16 January 2010 10:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tonna
Thank you everybody for the answer, first i was sorry but i just want to auto create folder when i press button in oracle form builder ,so i don't know how to code pl/sql to create folder. Thanks again i waiting for answer.
Re: create directory with oracle form pl/sql [message #439425 is a reply to message #439410] Sat, 16 January 2010 10:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cookiemonster
To repeat an earlier point - do you want to create the folder on the db server or the client machine?
The answer is different depending on which you want.
Re: create directory with oracle form pl/sql [message #439426 is a reply to message #439410] Sat, 16 January 2010 12:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tonna
on client machine ser..
Re: create directory with oracle form pl/sql [message #444755 is a reply to message #439426] Tue, 23 February 2010 23:45 Go to previous message
djmartin
Account Moderator
Sorry that I have been so long in replying. Have you solved your problem?

Also look at the 'host' and 'client_host' commands.

David
Previous Topic: Report call from FORMS
Next Topic: I WANT OLE LIBRARY
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 07:29:52 CDT 2024