Home » Developer & Programmer » Forms » displaying data in a form called from another (Forms 9i, Oracle 10g)
displaying data in a form called from another [message #448637] Wed, 24 March 2010 07:41 Go to next message
rosswelsh
Hi all,

I have a form (SearchHeatNumber) with one number field on it (EnterHeatNumber) and when the users insert this number and press the 'OK' button I have, I want the database to return the data for this HeatNumber value, but in a different form (AddDataRequest). I have written the following code but it will not work, firstly it gives me the error ORA-01772 which says that it is trying to convert a string into a number and cannot do it. I have defined HeatNumber as both a number and a char and get the error on both occasions. Secondly, I am unsure about how to populate in a different form and im sure the code i've written wont do that anyway but im hoping its a start.

declare 
v_heatnumber adddatarequest.heatnumber%type;
v_requestedby adddatarequest.requestedby%type;
v_description adddatarequest.description%type;
v_typeofquery adddatarequest.typeofquery%type;
v_querydescription adddatarequest.querydescription%type;
v_documenttitle adddatarequest.documenttitle%type;
v_datacrossref adddatarequest.datacrossref%type;
v_datadespatched adddatarequest.datadespatched%type;
v_userfollowup adddatarequest.userfollowup%type;
v_additionalinfo adddatarequest.additionalinfo%type;
v_attachedsql adddatarequest.attachedsql%type;
v_workcompby adddatarequest.workcompby%type;
v_datecomp adddatarequest.datecomp%type;
v_confirmedby adddatarequest.confirmedby%type;
v_confirmeddate adddatarequest.confirmeddate%type;

begin

select heatnumber, requestedby, description, typeofquery,querydescription,documenttitle,datacrossref,
datadespatched, userfollowup, additionalinfo, attachedsql, workcompby, datecomp, confirmedby, confirmeddate
into v_heatnumber, v_requestedby, v_description, v_typeofquery, v_querydescription, v_documenttitle,
v_datacrossref, v_datadespatched, v_userfollowup, v_additionalinfo, v_attachedsql, v_workcompby,
v_datecomp, v_confirmedby, v_confirmeddate
from adddatarequest
where heatnumber = ('<:block_3.enterheatnumber>');

exception when no_data_found
then dbms_output.put_line ('No records found for this number');
end;

I hope you can understand what im asking and can help!

Thanks!
Re: displaying data in a form called from another [message #448645 is a reply to message #448637] Wed, 24 March 2010 08:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
If you want to display data in another form, I believe that you'll need to pass "SearchHeatNumber" (SHN) from the "first" form into a "second" one.

You'd do that by using a parameter (can be found in Object Navigator) or a global variable.

Once you create it, "OK" button could look like this:
:global.shn := :your_block.searchheatnumber;
call_form('your_second_form');

The second form should perform query based on the SHN value. In the PRE-QUERY trigger you'd then use
:heatnumber := :global.shn;
while the WHEN-NEW-FORM-INSTANCE trigger should contain
EXECUTE_QUERY;

I guess that might do the job.

Because, selecting certain data into variables in your "first" form won't display those values in the "second" one.
Re: displaying data in a form called from another [message #448652 is a reply to message #448637] Wed, 24 March 2010 08:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cookiemonster
As far as the ORA-01772 goes this:
where heatnumber = ('<:block_3.enterheatnumber>');

should be:
where heatnumber = :block_3.enterheatnumber;

No quotes, brackets or anything else.
Anything in quotes is a string automatically, numbers do not require (and shouldn't have) quotes.
The datablock item should be set to number type. I'm assuming the heatnumber column is number type.

Although, as Littlefoot points out, the select statement is pointless anyway.

And why are you using dbms_output in forms code? Forms doesn't display dbms_output.

[Updated on: Wed, 24 March 2010 08:45]

Report message to a moderator

Re: displaying data in a form called from another [message #448661 is a reply to message #448637] Wed, 24 March 2010 09:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rosswelsh
Thanks for your help!

Littlefoot - it mainly worked although it didn't bring back any data Confused any suggestions?

Cookiemonster - I just copied the code from an old program and forgot to remove the dbms_output, I know it wouldn't work in forms.

Thanks again.
Re: displaying data in a form called from another [message #448668 is a reply to message #448637] Wed, 24 March 2010 10:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cookiemonster
Use a message/alert in the pre-query trigger to check that heatnumber has been set to the correct value.
Re: displaying data in a form called from another [message #448694 is a reply to message #448668] Wed, 24 March 2010 14:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Also, check whether records with that particular HEATNUMBER really exist in a table.
Re: displaying data in a form called from another [message #448698 is a reply to message #448645] Wed, 24 March 2010 15:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
joy_division
Littlefoot wrote on Wed, 24 March 2010 09:11

The second form should perform query based on the SHN value. In the PRE-QUERY trigger you'd then use
while the WHEN-NEW-FORM-INSTANCE trigger should contain
EXECUTE_QUERY;

I find that sometimes when I do it this way, you might get a popup asking you if you want to save your changes (although it's probably some other coding I do that causes it).
The way I do it is like this in WHEN-NEW-FORM-INSTANCE:
SET_BLOCK_PROPERTY('{BLOCK_NAME}',DEFAULT_WHERE, ':heatnumber :=  global.shn');
go_block('{BLOCK_NAME}');
execute_query;

And like littlefoot and cookiemonster have said, put in a
message('where... ' || DEFAULT_WHERE);
in the WHEN-NEW-FORM-INSTANCE
Re: displaying data in a form called from another [message #448699 is a reply to message #448698] Wed, 24 March 2010 16:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
When we're at it, @rosswelsh might consider using ONETIME_WHERE instead. Because, DEFAULT_WHERE will make it (nearly) impossible to perform any other kind of search in the "second" form - you'd be able to browse records with that particular HEATNUMBER, but nothing else.

Now, that might be perfectly OK - I'm just saying that there's yet another option to think of.
Re: displaying data in a form called from another [message #449378 is a reply to message #448637] Mon, 29 March 2010 05:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rosswelsh
Thanks for the advice on this subject, I still haven't been able to get it to work. At the moment I have this:

My 'Ok' button on SearchHeatNumber form has the code:
begin

:global.shn := :block3.enterheatnumber;
call_form('/home/ca5rwe/forms/HeatNumberResults');
end;

The Pre-Query trigger on HeatNumberResults form has the code:
begin

end;

and the When-New-Form-Instance trigger has the code:
begin

set_block_property('{HeatNumberResults}',onetime_where, ':heatnumber := global.shn');
go_block('{HeatNumberResults}');

execute_query;

message('where there are no records for this heat number'||onetime_where);
end;

The HeatNumberResults form loads but it doesn't display the data (which does exist). Any ideas?

Just seen something - does the pre-query trigger need to say :enterheatnumber as on the 1st form, or does it need to be :heatnumber which is the actual database field name?

[Updated on: Mon, 29 March 2010 05:43]

Re: displaying data in a form called from another [message #449405 is a reply to message #449378] Mon, 29 March 2010 07:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator

• "OK" button seems to be OK.
  • "PRE-QUERY" trigger is OK ("heatnumber" should be second form's item name)
  • "WHEN-NEW-FORM-INSTANCE" isn't OK - it should contain only EXECUTE_QUERY

Re: displaying data in a form called from another [message #449409 is a reply to message #448637] Mon, 29 March 2010 07:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rosswelsh
Yeh that works now for some reason. I tried both your way and joy_division's way, and originally neither worked, but now your way is. Seems a bit strange, but never mind.

Thanks very much!
Re: displaying data in a form called from another [message #449413 is a reply to message #448637] Mon, 29 March 2010 07:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rosswelsh
In addition to this, would this work in the same way when searching for a non exact value, i.e. searching using the %like syntax?

Or, for example would it need to be something along the lines of, in the Pre-Query trigger:

:HeatNumber like :global_shn%
Re: displaying data in a form called from another [message #449433 is a reply to message #448637] Mon, 29 March 2010 09:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cookiemonster
Some notes one these things.

When you are in enter-query mode you can type values into the fields in the block and when you execute the query oracle will append these values to the where clause of the query it submits.
Normally it does this with simple AND conditions.

PRE-QUERY trigger:
When you assign values to fields in the pre-query trigger this mimics entering values in enter-query mode. Whatever values you assign are appended to the where clause. You can't use this to LIKE's or OR's because you are literally assigning values to datablock itmes which the default query process will pick up.

Default_where:
This sets the datablocks where clause property (in the property pallete). If you've got something set in the property pallete this will over-write it.
What ever is in here will be appended directly to the where clause of the query forms issues. Consquently it has to be SQL syntax not PL/SQL syntax. So this bit of code you tried earlier:
set_block_property('{HeatNumberResults}',onetime_where, ':heatnumber := global.shn');

Should have been:
set_block_property('{HeatNumberResults}',onetime_where, 'heatnumber = :global.shn');

Since the := operator isn't valid in SQL and you need to reference the column in the table not the data-block item. The global does need the : because it only exists in the form.

Onetime_where
Exactly the same as default_where but only applies the next execution of a query in that block.

Note that default/onetime where don't override anything in PRE-QUERY or the other way round.

So to answer your question the simplest method would be:
set_block_property('{HeatNumberResults}',onetime_where, 'heatnumber LIKE :global.shn||''%''');

[Updated on: Mon, 29 March 2010 09:19]

Re: displaying data in a form called from another [message #449461 is a reply to message #449433] Mon, 29 March 2010 12:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
joy_division
cookiemonster wrote on Mon, 29 March 2010 10:18
Consquently it has to be SQL syntax not PL/SQL syntax. So this bit of code you tried earlier:

Should have been:
set_block_property('{HeatNumberResults}',onetime_where, 'heatnumber = :global.shn');

Since the := operator isn't valid in SQL and you need to reference the column in the table not the data-block item. The global does need the : because it only exists in the form.

Sorry, I probably steered him wrong based on my post. I gave an answer based on how I remember doing it. Colon, no colon, you're bound to get those mixed up from time to time.

I would be interested to know if you got my version to work if you left out the pre-query trigger.

Also, I am assuming you left out the curly brackets when you made your code.
Re: displaying data in a form called from another [message #449514 is a reply to message #448637] Tue, 30 March 2010 04:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rosswelsh
Im not having much luck with this. I've done as Cookiemonster has suggested and used the following, having changed field/block names to match the field I am searching:

set_block_property('{QueryDescrResults}',onetime_where, 'querydescription LIKE :global.qdesc||''%''');

This compiles fine and runs, but when I search it brings back all rows in the table, regardless of whether it matches the search criteria or not, and gives the error FRM-41056 Cannot find Block: invalid ID.

Ive doubled checked and the blocks and global variable names are all correct and in the right triggers.

Any suggestions?

And joy_division, I did leave out the curly brackets, but did not try leaving out the pre-query trigger.

Thanks.
Re: displaying data in a form called from another [message #449515 is a reply to message #449514] Tue, 30 March 2010 04:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
What happens if you do it like this:
set_block_property('QueryDescrResults', 
                    onetime_where, 
                   'querydescription LIKE ' || :global.qdesc ||'%'
                  );
Re: displaying data in a form called from another [message #449516 is a reply to message #448637] Tue, 30 March 2010 04:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rosswelsh
No joy, same FRM-41056 error and all rows returned. Sad
Re: displaying data in a form called from another [message #449517 is a reply to message #448637] Tue, 30 March 2010 04:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cookiemonster
Try running this code in the WNFI:

DECLARE
  bk_id Block; 
BEGIN 
  bk_id := Find_Block('QueryDescrResults'); 

IF (NOT Id_Null(bk_id)) THEN

message('block exists', ACKNOWLEDGE);

ELSE

message('block doesnt exist', ACKNOWLEDGE);

END IF;

END;

Re: displaying data in a form called from another [message #449520 is a reply to message #448637] Tue, 30 March 2010 04:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rosswelsh
Nope, still getting the same results.

Ok, I have all this, see if you can spot if anything is wrong:

On the 'OK' button on form 'SearchQueryDescription'
begin

:global.qdesc := :querydescr.enterquerydescr;
call_form('/home/ca5rwe/forms/QueryDescrResults');

end;

In the Pre-Query trigger on form 'QueryDescrResults'
begin

--set_block_property('QueryDescrResults', onetime_where,'querydescription LIKE :global.qdesc||''%''');

set_block_property('QueryDescrResults',onetime_where,'querydescription LIKE ' || :global.qdesc || '%');
end;

I left both versions in so I could swap between if necessary. Both versions have the same result.

Finally in the WNFI trigger on form 'QueryDescrResults'
begin

set_window_property('Window1',window_state,maximize);
execute_query;

declare
bk_id Block;
begin
bk_id := Find_Block('QueryDescrResults');
IF (NOT id_null(bk_id)) THEN
message('block exists', ACKNOWLEDGE);
else
message('block does not exist', ACKNOWLEDGE);
end if;
end;

end;
Re: displaying data in a form called from another [message #449524 is a reply to message #448637] Tue, 30 March 2010 05:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cookiemonster
Comment out the execute_query in the WNFI trigger. I just want to see what find_block does.

And just to ask the really obvious question - are you sure the datablock in the form QueryDescrResults is really called QueryDescrResults?
Re: displaying data in a form called from another [message #449525 is a reply to message #448637] Tue, 30 March 2010 05:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rosswelsh
find_block didn't appear to do anyting. I still got the error message pop up.

Yeh, the data block is actually called that, ive checked numerous times to make sure myself.
Re: displaying data in a form called from another [message #449526 is a reply to message #448637] Tue, 30 March 2010 05:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cookiemonster
Are you sure you commented out the execute_query?
Are you sure it's the WNFI trigger that's giving that error and not some other trigger?

I ask because find_block should never give that error.

If the answer to both of those is yes then try doing a compile all (control + shift + k) and re-run.
If you still get the error then attach the form to this thread and we'll see if we can see what you are doing wrong.
Re: displaying data in a form called from another [message #449528 is a reply to message #448637] Tue, 30 March 2010 05:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rosswelsh
It now appears to be working. I did all 3 things you suggested and I still got the error.

So I ran the QueryDescrResults form on its own, rather than performing a search go get it to load and the find_block said the block existed, so I commented that out and put the execute_query back in and it has ran fine. Maybe it needed to re-generate the .fmx file perhaps?
Re: displaying data in a form called from another [message #449529 is a reply to message #448637] Tue, 30 March 2010 05:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cookiemonster
Were you not re-generating the fmx each time?
Re: displaying data in a form called from another [message #449531 is a reply to message #448637] Tue, 30 March 2010 05:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rosswelsh
I had forgotten to a few times. Feel like a complete idiot for not realising in the first place thats why it wasn't working! Embarassed

Thanks very much for your help, I know it must get quite tedious going over simple stuff!

[Updated on: Tue, 30 March 2010 05:56]

Re: displaying data in a form called from another [message #449553 is a reply to message #449531] Tue, 30 March 2010 07:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Quote:
I had forgotten to a few times.
/forum/fa/2115/0/
Re: displaying data in a form called from another [message #449563 is a reply to message #449531] Tue, 30 March 2010 08:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cookiemonster
rosswelsh wrote on Tue, 30 March 2010 11:50

Thanks very much for your help, I know it must get quite tedious going over simple stuff!

It wasn't that bad. Tedious is where you have to ask 10 questions repeatedly just to find out what the person is trying to achieve (or better yet what error they are getting). You at least managed to describe what you were doing fairly concisely.
Re: displaying data in a form called from another [message #449693 is a reply to message #448637] Wed, 31 March 2010 08:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rosswelsh
Just got one last question, thought id put it in here rather than create a new topic. I am now creating a search between two dates and the code I have used is:

set_block_property('datecomp',onetime_where,'DateComp BETWEEN ||:global.DateFrom|| and ||:global.DateTo||');

This compiles and runs fine, but when I input my two values, the results form loads but says it is unable to execute the query and when I go to the errors, it gives me ORA-00936: missing expression. I've tried moving the || round and putting in more apostrophes (at least where I think they should be) but I still the same error.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Re: displaying data in a form called from another [message #449695 is a reply to message #448637] Wed, 31 March 2010 08:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cookiemonster
probably needs to be:
'DateComp BETWEEN to_date('||:global.DateFrom||') and to_date('||:global.DateTo||')'

You need the to_date as the date items will be implicitly converted to strings when concatenated into the where clause string.
Re: displaying data in a form called from another [message #449696 is a reply to message #448637] Wed, 31 March 2010 08:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cookiemonster
Display error should give you the full select statement issued to the db. If you copy and paste it into sqlplus you should be able to see where the problem is.
Re: displaying data in a form called from another [message #449697 is a reply to message #448637] Wed, 31 March 2010 08:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rosswelsh
I put in the to_date and ran it, and it gave the error saying that 'MAR' was an invalid identifier? Which I don't understand because thats the Oracle standard month format?
Re: displaying data in a form called from another [message #449698 is a reply to message #448637] Wed, 31 March 2010 08:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cookiemonster
Copy and paste the select statement from display error.
Re: displaying data in a form called from another [message #449700 is a reply to message #448637] Wed, 31 March 2010 08:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rosswelsh
SELECT ROWID,HEATNUMBER,REQUESTEDBY,DESCRIPTION,TYPEOFQUERY,
QUERYDESCRIPTION,DOCUMENTTITLE,DATACROSSREF,DATADESPATCHED,
USERFOLLOWUP,ADDITIONALINFO,ATTACHEDSQL,WORKCOMPBY,
DATECOMP,CONFIRMEDBY,CONFIRMEDDATE 
FROM ADDDATAREQUEST 
WHERE DateComp BETWEEN to_date(29-MAR-10) and to_date(30-MAR-10) 

I tried altering the year format to YY, I had it set to YYYY before, just to see what it did, but it made no difference.

CM: multi-lined the select.

[Updated on: Wed, 31 March 2010 09:14] by Moderator

Re: displaying data in a form called from another [message #449706 is a reply to message #448637] Wed, 31 March 2010 09:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cookiemonster
The problem isn't date format. The problem is the date isn't wrapped in quotes so it thinks it's an object name. That's why you are getting invalid identifier rather than invalid month or some other date error.

'DateComp BETWEEN to_date('''||:global.DateFrom||''') and to_date('''||:global.DateTo||''')'

is what you need. To get a single ' to display in a string you have to put two ' together in the string.
Re: displaying data in a form called from another [message #449708 is a reply to message #448637] Wed, 31 March 2010 09:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rosswelsh
That seems to do the trick although it said there was no data to retrieve, which there is.

Just to check, is this code on the OK button correct?

:global.datefrom := :DateCompleted.DateFrom;
:global.dateto := :DateCompleted.DateTo;
call_form('/home/ca5rwe/forms/DateCompResults');
Re: displaying data in a form called from another [message #449716 is a reply to message #448637] Wed, 31 March 2010 09:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cookiemonster
Looks ok.

At this point I'd pull out one of my favourite forms debugging tricks:
get_block_property(<block_name>, last_query);

That returns the last query issued to the db by the block.
Create a button in your search form. Add code to the WHEN-BUTTON-PRESSED to call that and display the results in a message - or better yet, add a item to the datablock and stick the output in that so you can copy it.
Run the form, execute the query, press the button.
Copy and paste the select statement into sqlplus and see what happens.
Re: displaying data in a form called from another [message #449723 is a reply to message #448637] Wed, 31 March 2010 10:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rosswelsh
I can't even get that to work. Sad

It says it encounters < when expecting something else. If I remove the <> it says the block needs to be declared?
Re: displaying data in a form called from another [message #449724 is a reply to message #448637] Wed, 31 March 2010 10:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cookiemonster
That might be because your block is not called <block_name>.
I know this stuff is new to you but seriously, slow down and think for a second Smile
Also might be an idea to read up on any new stuff I point you to in form builder help, it's all listed with examples.
Re: displaying data in a form called from another [message #449730 is a reply to message #448637] Wed, 31 March 2010 10:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rosswelsh
No I know it isn't called that, ive called it what it is actually called, which is why I don't understand why it wont work?
Re: displaying data in a form called from another [message #449731 is a reply to message #448637] Wed, 31 March 2010 10:16 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
cookiemonster
Have you wrapped the block name in quotes?
If yes post the code along with exact error message.
Previous Topic: hard coding application server ip in oracle forms
Next Topic: After logon trigger
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 05:29:42 CDT 2024