Home » Developer & Programmer » Forms » forms updating multiple records (forms 6i, XP, oracle 9i)
forms updating multiple records [message #449602] Tue, 30 March 2010 15:27 Go to next message
jemkeith
I have a form with two data blocks, one parent, one child block.
The parent is holds mineral lease info while the child holds the mineral owner info, such as addresses and phone numbers. One owner can be in the owner block multiple times (different owner types). The form only displays one owner at a time.
We have a separate master owner table which holds owner address. (We set it up this way because we get electronic info from mineral companies that we have to load each year).
As you tab through the owner block, it checks the FEIN against the master table and pulls updated address info from the master table. I have a problem in which if an owner is on the lease multiple times, when you tab through the first instance, it pulls in the new address info, but when you go to the next instance, it won't update. If you requery, it seems that the first update actually updated all the owner records on that lease. How can I turn this off?
Re: forms updating multiple records [message #449624 is a reply to message #449602] Wed, 31 March 2010 01:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
It seems that query that does the job misses certain information in its WHERE clause that might be responsible for detecting a record which is to be updated.
Re: forms updating multiple records [message #449685 is a reply to message #449624] Wed, 31 March 2010 07:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jemkeith
How do you check for the current record in forms?
Re: forms updating multiple records [message #449686 is a reply to message #449624] Wed, 31 March 2010 07:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jemkeith
This is the SQL I use to get the new address from our address table.

DECLARE 
  err_code NUMBER;   /* Error Trapping for Code 	 */ 
  err_text VARCHAR2(255) ;   /* Error Trapping for Message */ 
BEGIN 
		/*make sure that the entity has an FEIN and that it is in CURRADD */
      if :intid is not null and check_ssn_curradd(:intid) > 0 then 
          SELECT name1, name2, address, city, st, zip, exempt 
          INTO :name1, :name2, :address, :city, :st, :zip, :exempt 
          FROM curradd 
          WHERE ssnfin = :intid; 
      else 
          null; 
      end if; 
      --:end intid is not null

exception 
  when no_data_found then 
      null; 
  when others then 
      err_code := sqlcode; 
      err_text := sqlerrm; 
      message('Error: '||to_char(err_code) ||'-'||err_text) ; 
  END; 
Re: forms updating multiple records [message #449687 is a reply to message #449602] Wed, 31 March 2010 07:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cookiemonster
What trigger is this code called from?
Are the datablock items you are selecting the data into database items?
Re: forms updating multiple records [message #449688 is a reply to message #449686] Wed, 31 March 2010 07:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Which trigger is it?
Re: forms updating multiple records [message #449728 is a reply to message #449688] Wed, 31 March 2010 10:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jemkeith
There is a key-next-item trigger on the intid field that fires this code.

if :intid is not null	then
	execute_trigger('getowner');
elsif :intid is null then
	null;
end if;
next_item;
Re: forms updating multiple records [message #449733 is a reply to message #449686] Wed, 31 March 2010 10:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jemkeith
Yes, they are database items.
Re: forms updating multiple records [message #449738 is a reply to message #449602] Wed, 31 March 2010 10:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cookiemonster
The obvious question is why you are doing this in this form at all?

If you've got a new set of address data from somewhere and you want to update existing records with the new data then wouldn't it make more sense to update all the records as a batch process when you get the new data?
Or if you want more control create a form specifically for the job and show the users the new address and then let them press a button or something if they want to update it.

What you've got it the moment is going to cause the users to constantly get messages asking them if they want to save data that they haven't realised they've changed.

Re: forms updating multiple records [message #449740 is a reply to message #449738] Wed, 31 March 2010 10:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jemkeith
Part of it is that we've always done it this way... Part of it is that I inherited these forms that have been basically unchanged since 1998, and I have been updating them, slowly, as I can. Another part is that I have no DBA or database design training, and I've learned what little I know from books and the web.
We get data in a spreadsheet then I load it to our database, replacing any data that we may have for a company.
The data we get may or may not have a correct address. We have a rule that if our address data hasn't been updated for over a year, we take the new address, otherwise we use our existing address data. That rule is implemented through a different trigger that I forgot to include. This trigger fires when the record is committed. It is below.
If we update the address table, it does have triggers that update the other tables.

DECLARE
	CheckDate DATE := to_date('08/19/09', 'MM/DD/YY') ;
	/* Date chosen as cutoff    */
	DateEntered DATE := NULL;
	/* Date Variable            */
	err_code NUMBER;
	/* Error Trapping for Code   */
	err_text VARCHAR2(255) ;
	/* Error Trapping for Message */
BEGIN
	IF :intid IS NOT NULL THEN
		execute_trigger('deo_update') ;
		execute_trigger('dtentry_update') ;
		IF check_ssn_curradd(:intid) = 0 THEN
			--message(:intid|| :name1|| :name2|| :address|| :city|| :st|| :zip|| :deo|| :dtentry);
 --temp message for error checks
			insert_curradd(:intid, :name1, :name2, :address, :city, :st, :zip, :deo, :dtentry) ;
			-- end if check_ssn_curradd(:intid) = 0
		ELSIF get_curradd_date_entered(:intid) >= CheckDate OR check_Supdate_curradd(:intid) = 1 THEN
			SELECT
				name1, name2, address, city,
				st, zip, exempt
			INTO
				:name1, :name2, :address, :city,
				:st, :zip, :exempt
			FROM
				curradd
			WHERE
				ssnfin = :intid;
		ELSIF check_Supdate_curradd(:intid) = 0 THEN
			update_curradd(:intid, :name1, :name2, :address, :city, :st, :zip, :deo, :dtentry) ;
		END IF; -- end if get_curradd_date_entered(:intid) => CheckDate
	END IF;  --:end intid is not null
EXCEPTION
WHEN no_data_found THEN
	NULL;
WHEN OTHERS THEN
	err_code := SQLCODE;
	err_text := sqlerrm;
	MESSAGE('Error: '||TO_CHAR(err_code) ||'-'||err_text) ;
END;

[EDITED by DJM: cut overly long line]

[Updated on: Thu, 01 April 2010 01:50] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Re: forms updating multiple records [message #449741 is a reply to message #449602] Wed, 31 March 2010 11:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cookiemonster
That code doesn't mean a lot to me, lots of context missing here. First off how exactly is that code called, what trigger are you using?
2nd if that code is modifying the data for you why have you get the other code in key-next-item as well?
Re: forms updating multiple records [message #449744 is a reply to message #449741] Wed, 31 March 2010 11:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jemkeith
The second trigger is called when someone either tabs past the zip code, or when the record is committed.
I don't know why the code is on the key-next-item... I will look and see if I can get rid of it.
Re: forms updating multiple records [message #449751 is a reply to message #449744] Wed, 31 March 2010 12:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cookiemonster
jemkeith wrote on Wed, 31 March 2010 17:37
The second trigger is called when someone either tabs past the zip code, or when the record is committed.

The exact trigger please: KEY-COMMIT, POST-FORMS-COMMIT, POST-DATABASE-COMMIT, what?
Re: forms updating multiple records [message #449759 is a reply to message #449751] Wed, 31 March 2010 13:26 Go to previous message
jemkeith
I'm sorry it is key-commit.
I finally figured out what the first trigger is for. If someone enters data manually, it pulls the address from the address table, after the zip code field, it runs the other trigger checking to see if the address table should be updated with new info or not.
There was a mistake in the trigger, it should have checked to see if the name1 field was null before it pulled address data. I made a few other adjustments to some other triggers and the problem seemed to go away.
Previous Topic: Manually Display data on form
Next Topic: Focus not coming onto the Form
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 05:35:05 CDT 2024