Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Oracle OS Question: SolarisX86 or RH Linux?
Oracle OS Question: SolarisX86 or RH Linux? [message #221447] Mon, 26 February 2007 17:42 Go to next message
FZZZ
I could pose this question on either RH or Sun site, but I am unsure whether or not I would get an unbiased answer.

I have a choice of running RH or SolarisX86 with Oracle (Sparc is not debatable - Vendor Relationship issue)

I am interested in hearing from DBAs who handle/maintain/administer large DB/mission critical/hi-volume transactions and what your comfort level would be with respect to Oracle/Solaris X86 vs Oracle/Linux in the area of

1. OS patch maintenance/sys admin (drivers, kernels, etc..)
2. OS compatibilities (hardware drivers)
3. Oracle performance on each OS
4. OS specific issues (both pros and cons) (related to Oracle only please)
5 Commercial Support Programs (Sun or RH) : cost/ responsiveness etc..
6. and lastly, if you were in this seat, would you bet your job on Solaris86 or RH Linux?

Thanks in advance.

PS: Please keep Sparc vs. X86 off this thread.
Re: Oracle OS Question: SolarisX86 or RH Linux? [message #221612 is a reply to message #221447] Tue, 27 February 2007 12:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
I run Oracle on both & I have no preference for either OS.
Re: Oracle OS Question: SolarisX86 or RH Linux? [message #221661 is a reply to message #221447] Tue, 27 February 2007 23:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
frozenam_24
If you are database is over 250GB size then i won't suggest you to go for RHLinux. Because there will be high I/O on Linux machines. This is on my experience.Linux is not the best to handle I/O issues.

I might think this makes some sense deciding the O/S.
Re: Oracle OS Question: SolarisX86 or RH Linux? [message #221662 is a reply to message #221447] Tue, 27 February 2007 23:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
>If you are database is over 250GB size then i won't suggest you to go for RHLinux. Because there will be high I/O on Linux machines.
There is NO inherent realtionship between size of the the database and the number of I/Os against the DB.
The number of I/O operations is much more a function of number of concurrent users & the application itself.
>Linux is not the best to handle I/O issues.
Which begs the issue of what proof there is that Solaris is better; based upon quantifiable & reproducible metrics.
Re: Oracle OS Question: SolarisX86 or RH Linux? [message #221691 is a reply to message #221661] Wed, 28 February 2007 01:37 Go to previous message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
>>Because there will be high I/O on Linux machines.
I run a 2.4 TeraByte hybrid database on SUSE.
Have no problem with I/O Smile
Previous Topic: Schema creation
Next Topic: Tablespace alert script that will ignore autoextend
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 12:25:40 CDT 2024