Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Multiple database on Oracle 10G Express edition ???
icon5.gif  Multiple database on Oracle 10G Express edition ??? [message #225568] Tue, 20 March 2007 06:37 Go to next message
naimish_hit
Hi All,

I have just join this forum before few days back and I found that this Forum is very useful for Oracle developers.

I have installed Oracle Database 10g Express Edition (Western European) on Windows XP.

I am able to connect XE database and login into it with system as well as HR login. Upto here everything is working fine.

My question is that is it possible to create a new database on Express edition ?? Can I have multiple databases on Express edition ?

Does Express edition support Database Configuration Assistant (DBCA) Or Is there any other tool for database creation (which runs on Express edition) ?

Thanks in advance..

Naimish R. Dave
Re: Multiple database on Oracle 10G Express edition ??? [message #225572 is a reply to message #225568] Tue, 20 March 2007 06:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
I dont think so.
XE comes with a pre-configured 4gig limited database.
You can create multiple databases, but you cannot use them all together (as in a regular Oracle standard/enterprise edition).
You can have only one instance at a time.

[Updated on: Tue, 20 March 2007 06:55]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Multiple database on Oracle 10G Express edition ??? [message #225579 is a reply to message #225568] Tue, 20 March 2007 07:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
http://www.oracle.com/technology/pub/articles/cunningham-database-xe.html
icon5.gif  Re: Multiple database on Oracle 10G Express edition ??? [message #225684 is a reply to message #225568] Tue, 20 March 2007 23:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
naimish_hit
Thanks Mahesh,

But what if I want to create a new database on 10G Express edition.

I have read 10G XE limitations (http://www.oracle.com/technology/pub/articles/cunningham-database-xe.html). They have stated that we cannot run multiple databases at a time (which we can do in Standard or Enterprise).

Here in my scenario I dont want multiple databases but I also dont want to work on default database. I want to create a new database and make it active.

How to disable/stop/deactivate default database and Create a new database?

Regards and Thanks in advance

Naimish R. Dave
Re: Multiple database on Oracle 10G Express edition ??? [message #225700 is a reply to message #225684] Wed, 21 March 2007 01:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mohammad Taj

Hi,

Go through below link
http://st-curriculum.oracle.com/tutorial/DBXETutorial/index.htm

You can use DBCA for create new database or drop old database.

hope this helps
Taj
Re: Multiple database on Oracle 10G Express edition ??? [message #225701 is a reply to message #225568] Wed, 21 March 2007 01:21 Go to previous message
BlackSwan
>How to disable/stop/deactivate default database and Create a new database?
If you are smarter than GUI tools, there is alway SQL*Plus which allows you to do anything you are capable to doing.
Previous Topic: Oracle 9i CPU Affinity
Next Topic: Recover using ARCHIVE files in Oracle 8i
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 12:28:32 CDT 2024