Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Questions
Questions [message #237760] Tue, 15 May 2007 11:26 Go to next message
california_6_1
I have few questions and would greatly appreciate, if someone please take a moment to answer these:

Undo tablespace: Just curious what will happen, if the undo tablespaces files are deleted, when the database is running? The database is runnig on Sun solaris and it's a oracle 10g version.

Redo logs: I have placed a user tablespace in backup mode. EG: Alter tablespace users begin backup. what happens if i leave the tablespace in backup mode(for 5 or 10 days) and the database is getting heavily populated?

Appreciated the answer.
Many thanks,
Cali
Re: Questions [message #237944 is a reply to message #237760] Wed, 16 May 2007 03:22 Go to previous message
Frank Naude
Quote:
what will happen, if the undo tablespaces files are deleted, when the database is running

You will get nasty errors and the database will most likely crash. Don't try it!

Quote:
what happens if i leave the tablespace in backup mode(for 5 or 10 days) and the database is getting heavily populated?

Database will write an enormous amount to redo, slowing down all transactions. The database will most likely get stuck. Again, not recommended for production systems. Rather switch to RMAN backups (no need for BEGIN BACKUP statements).
Previous Topic: reconstruct the database.
Next Topic: Finding last DML done for a table
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 10:30:47 CDT 2024